Sunday, June 8, 2014

The year of the Horse… Of Course!

The Dream Painting  was a 10 years journey  to complete

Although I was born in the year of the dog, I am feeling the year of the horse...


This year for me is a return to horses and has taken me on a new journey and a lesson of a different kind of horse.

Me with my Zebra Polo Pony


It began this year with A Polo pony I painted, that is forever frozen in a pose with the stripes of a zebra... 

 In the Chinese culture there is a zodiac calendar system, which began with the Han’s dynasty (206-220BC), It is a 12-year cycle that names each year after an animal.

I love that idea and I have always found the horse to be an intriguing creature and although I am not Chinese I am very aware that it is the year of the horse.



Built Ford tough statue on display at he Augusta Airport
                           http://www.augustaregionalairport.com/ArtistsExhibitions


 I started out painting horses because that was the only way I could have one.

I couldn’t afford a real horse or even a picture of one
 (that’s what I would call a painting before I went to art school) so I made my own.

This new year of the horse is where I came back to these beautiful creatures with the help of one the galleries(Chisholm Gallery) that represent my work, three polo pony statues commissioned, and now an up coming Equine Art show, that I will be a part of and the hunter jumper, Horses in the sun show back in my town; I find myself literally in a year with horses and I didn’t know how much I missed being around them and painting and sculpting them.

 
Leap of Faith  my first bronze



I didn’t have any real knowledge of horses, what I knew about them I learned from books, movies and from the horses I would pet in passing when I was in NYC near central park.

 That is, until I rented an old carriage house and fell in love with a horse that slept below me.

I owned only his heart and he owned mine, with my deep love that I had for him.

I learned so much about horses during that time and loved being able to ride or groom him and I didn’t even mind mucking out the stalls, I would do anything to spend as much time as I could with him and the other horses.

I spent time at the racetrack and then watched them jump over hurdles, and pull carriages and twist and turn on a dime, chasing a ball in a field playing polo.

When I left that part of my life behind I spent more time with wildlife and although this took away from painting and sculpting horses they are always on my mind and in my heart.

What more could I learn?

Two People born in the year of the horse such as Teddy Roosevelt and Sir Isaac Newton, both had a great curiosity about nature and is something I can relate to.

But what they learned I would never. What I know they couldn’t and if I am confusing you now well maybe it will cause you to question and think.

What life becomes and where life takes you should cause you to pause. Just like the horse-even a thought can take you anywhere. It has taken me to places and allowed me to become someone that I never really thought I would be. 

To think of where the horse has taken us as culture and what do they receive in return?
 Our love and admiration- sometimes and sometimes less then nothing and they still give us all they have to give.



one of the 3 polo ponies I painted
To share some of the qualities of the horse, can bring out the best in us and honor this year of the horse, whether you were born in the year of the horse or you simply love horses.


 What’s not to love?

 To have more of their traits, such as… patience, enthusiasm for life and pride in doing a good job; is some of what I learned and it is something to think about, as I paint all the pretty horses. 


                                   See you at the show!



  


No comments:

Post a Comment

The 3 sentence blog: Day2 The 3 sentence blog  with a photo Books and a love of animals have always been a part of my life.  ...